Monday, February 11, 2013

Dream Vacation

Imagine being in the party Capital of the world, Amsterdam in The Netherlands, staying in the most luxurious accommodation of its kind, surrounded by beautiful ladies all the time, who hold your hands without twitching their eyes, ready to serve you without any expectation 24/7, the bed is a very cozy adjustable bed, the coziest you have ever slept on, room service does not mean leaving the food tray on the table, but feeding you with a spoon, entertainment non-stop with a huge Plasma TV which telecasts all of your favorite programs. You can stay there as long as you can and the vacation is granted by your company. Not just that, the bill for the stay will also be picked by your company. That, my friends, is the epitome of a dream vacation. I have been there and also learnt valuable lessons in the process.

On September 5, 2007, my hopes were sky high and my dreams were larger than life, when I boarded "The mysterious Swan" Lufthansa flight to Amsterdam to work.

Couple of months later, I tried my hands, actually my legs, on ice skating at Winter Efteling Theme park. I learnt very quickly that while Ice skating, one should bend the knees and put the majority of one’s weight forward, because you cannot fall forward.

I quickly learnt how to skate and picked up pace moving my legs in perfect rhythm. It was a brilliant feeling. Right there I had a train of thought. Why was I not heavier? Why did I not learn how stop before gaining speed? Why was the person on a collision course with me heavier and faster than me? When the inevitable collision did happen, laws of physics were against me and laws of gravity were holding on to me tight. It was a heavy duty stress test of the ice versus my left arm. There I learnt my first lesson, Ice though thin, is way too much stronger than a thicker human.

I have always imagined clinic to be dim lit and with an old doctor wearing glasses end and coughing once in a while. There were 4 stunningly beautiful young ladies and the room radiated with vibrant light, I still am unsure if it was their radiant skin or the bulb which lit the room. I could swear that I saw wings on a couple of them and one was even off the ground by a couple of feet (ANGELS!!). All of them took a special interest in me and were taking turns to hold my hand and check if it hurts. The left hand refused to cry in pain and was jumping in joy to receive a royal treatment. They strapped my arm and recommended that I should be taken to Ziekenheus Hospital. Second Lesson, it is lucky to be unlucky and you never know what wonders a bit of bad luck can bring.

Then, came the most wonderful 10 days of stay in the luxurious Zeikenheus Hospital which hosted the most luxurious rooms with cozy, fully adjustable beds. Nurses and doctors, mostly beautiful ladies, giving special attention since, I had not family there to take care of me and company took care of the bills. It was a multiple fracture that my left arm proudly sported to get all the royal treatment and attention of these ladies. To make things lighter, I used a lot of humor to make them laugh. One fine morning, a nurse woke me up with an empty 12 liter can in hand. She uttered two words, Urine test. I responded spontaneously with a laugh. I know I am slightly er em a lot on the heavier side, but that does not mean I need a 12 liter. She also could not control her laugh when she said it was for a specific test where I had to collect urine for an entire day in the can. This taught me the third lesson, A good sense of humor, helps you forget even your tumor.

Friends, if in England, breaking a wish bone is getting lucky, in The Netherlands, breaking your arm in multiple places, just makes you the luckiest person alive. With all the lessons I learnt, wonderful memories and a heavy heart, I left the hospital. Just before I left, I told my favorite lady in the hospital, that their treatment helped me leave with a fixed arm but a broken heart and that I will miss her forever. She winked at me and said not to worry, she can arrange for my right arm to be broken ;)

That was my dream vacation.

3 comments:

  1. Very well written vijay, wonder how the experience would have been of you had broken your leg instead of your arm! Karma...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there whatiscmthinking information or the article which u had posted was simply superb and to say one thing that this was one of the best information which I had seen so far, thanks for the information #BGLAMHAIRSTUDIO

    ReplyDelete