Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Journey to the stars

At the very beginning, it was exciting to be a part of the journey aiming to reach the stars. There were many of us passing through a passage in a fluid, uniform line. When I looked around, I saw that there were a few young ones as excited as I was and a few indifferent faces least excited about the journey to the stars. This made me wonder why. We marching together arm to arm, had to have a uniform movement to keep our movements fluid. To be truthful, it was hard at first; I then played the tune of my favorite song “Rain drops keep falling on my head” inside my head and marched with the song. I was as smooth as I could be.


It was not too long before I was in front of the giant circular device accelerating those ahead of me at lightning speed. In a single sling, thousands were set on their journey. Looking at this, I was feeling both excited and uneasy. It was worse than my first roller coaster ride; it was my first journey to stars. This was the first instance I heard people next to me point at the giant device and say that it operates on the basis of the principle of centrifugal force, I could recall the class on centrifugal force I had a couple of weeks ago came to my mind. Yes, how could I have missed it?

It was now my turn, by now our movement was very fluid and purposeful. Within seconds of entering the giant device, I realized that I was already on my way to the stars. I was feeling proud and excited. Goodbye earth, hope to see you soon. I was feeling weightless as we still were moving in a very well defined path. I looked at stars with the best of hopes.

The hope was shattered when I realized that we were slowing down and started to move towards the earth, it was scary. There was an experienced voyager next to me who said ‘Relax, everything is going to be alright’. I could feel the force pushing me downwards with a greater force every ticking millisecond, I now realized the power of gravity for the first time in my life. It was a free fall. I did not want to die, at least not this way. Before I realized, splash I fell into the pool, and slowly got pulled to the bottom of it.

I found myself back on the passage to the giant device. It was only then that an experienced voyager said ‘We are a part of what humans call a fountain, we go through the same cycle every moment of our day from now on. The humans stop the fountain only on days they call GO GREEN days or SAVE ELECTRICITY days. On all the other days, be it burning summers or freezing winters, the journey continues. During summers, the older folks burn away as they separate from the pack, the humans call it evaporation’. At this point I asked, ‘why do they do that? What do they gain from it? After all they call us the elixir of their life!’ ‘They somehow find it entertaining and enjoyable to watch us getting our hopes shattered, going high up and falling down. It is always a part of them. They laugh at a person slipping and falling over a banana peel and call it comedy. It is tough to understand them.’ Clearing his throat he continued, ‘It is up to us to make the best of the time we are over here.’

Those words have kept me going for a long time now. Soon I will evaporate as well. I wish humans would learn harmless ways to have fun. I wish they could show some respect to their life giver. After all they are the ones who complain about the scarcity of water. It is ironic to see what they do when they have water. Hope there is a human who listens to this hopeless cry of just A DROP of WATER!!!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing thought and even more interesting is the way its been put through.

    ReplyDelete