Monday, December 28, 2009

La Pieta


Inside the St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City stands one of the most famous sculptures by Michelangelo - 'La Pieta'.

This sculpture depicts Mother Mary receiving Jesus on the lap, after the crucification.
Michelangelo's Pieta is a little different for the previous Pieta. He has depicted Mother Mary cradling Jesus on her lap, hence had to make the sculpture a little out of proportion, so that the body of Jesus does not look too big on her lap. He achieves this by draping Mother Mary in a beautiful dress which conceals the lean Mother Mary and gives volume to make the proportions look quite normal.

I was really amazed by the details sculpted by Michelangelo. The dress seems to have a natural flow. So, difficult to work on marble, yet the beauty is unmatched. The sculpture was the first to catch my attention after I entered the Basilica. I also like the B/W photograph compared to the rest. Hence, I left it here.

2 comments: